Thursday, November 29, 2012

An Intense Car Stereo

Part A = 4.8 Click to use the calculator/solver for this part of the problem
Part B = 2.1 Click to use the calculator/solver for this part of the problem
Part C = 13.8 Click to use the calculator/solver for this part of the problem
Part D = 1.38*105 Click to use the calculator/solver for this part of the problem
Solutions Below:
A popular car stereo has four speakers, each rated at 60 W. In answering the following questions, assume that the speakers produce sound at their maximum power.

Part A

Find the intensity I of the sound waves produced by one 60 W speaker at a distance of 1.0 m.
Express your answer numerically in watts per square meter. Use two significant figures.

Intensity is given by the formula:
I = P/A
Where P is power and A is area of the surface receiving the sound (generally this will be the shape of a sphere, 4πr2.
I = 60/(4πr2)
I = 60 / (12.56636(1)2)
I = 4.8 W/m2


Part B

Find the intensity I of the sound waves produced by one 60 W speaker at a distance of 1.5 m.
Express your answer numerically in watts per square meter. Use two significant figures.

Using the same formula as in Part A:
I = 60/(4πr2)
I = 60 / (12.56636(1.5)2)
I = 2.1 W/m2


Part C

Find the intensity I of the sound waves produced by four 60 W speakers as heard by the driver. Assume that the driver is located 1.0 m from each of the two front speakers and 1.5 m from each of the two rear speakers.

Express your answer numerically in watts per square meter. Use two significant figures.
Just add up the intensities from Parts A and B. 2 speakers at 1.0m = 2 * 4.8 and 2 speakers at 1.5m = 2 * 2.1. So:
I = (2 * 4.8) + (2 * 2.1)
I = 13.8 W/m2


Part D

The threshold of hearing is defined as the minimum discernible intensity of the sound. It is approximately 10-12 W/m^2. Find the distance d from the car at which the sound from the stereo can still be discerned. Assume that the windows are rolled down and that each speaker actually produces 0.06 W of sound, as suggested in the last follow-up comment.

Express your answer numerically in meters.
Since I = P / A and A = 4πr2:
I = P / 4πr2
10-12 = (0.06 * 4 speakers) / (12.56636r2)
10-12 = 0.019099r2
r2 = 19098609303
r = 138198m
Or in scientific notation:
r = 1.38*105m

5 comments:

  1. How cool was that having a full Car diversion System best 6x9 speakers without amp Through this I really makes the most of my ride each time uniquely while out and about with a few companions. So amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool was that having a full Car diversion System 6x9 speakers with good bass Through this I really makes the most of my ride each time uniquely while out and about with a few companions. So amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got too much interesting stuff on your blog. I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here! Keep up the good work. Best Bluetooth Car Speakerphones

    ReplyDelete
  4. 6x9 speaker I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article.

    ReplyDelete